The reason parents have problems with some teenagers is because those teens have a deficiency in their earlier character development. A study of Luke chapter 2 shows that Jesus, by the age 12, had developed 7 qualities necessary for true maturity. Expect that a 12-year-old will:
- Have a mature sense of responsibility, purpose, and destiny.
- Have a keen sense of discernment, especially in relation to the company he keeps.
- Have a burning hunger to understand truth and wisdom.
- Be fully obedient.
- Be consistently respectful.
- Be totally committed to doing the will of God.
- Have an unmistakable godliness about his life.